Current Job Opportunities
If you are seeking a challenging career full of accomplishment, reward, and opportunity, you will discover Iowa State Government is the place for you. The State of Iowa has a rich and diverse population, where community, culture and differences matter; and where exceptional work ethic, values and service all come together.
There are over 30 agencies in state government providing services to Iowans requiring specialized talent in agriculture, corrections, cultural affairs, economic development, education, human services, natural resources, public health, public safety, revenue, transportation, veterans’ services and more. In providing services to agencies, PDS has adopted the guiding principles of service, efficiency and value. Join a team that thinks differently – knowing diverse needs require diverse solutions.
The Iowa Department of Administrative Services – Human Resources Enterprise (DAS-HRE) is seeking candidates for an advanced-level position as a Training Specialist 2. Within the central unit responsible for statewide training and development, the position will report to the Organizational Performance Bureau Chief of the Human Resources Enterprise, and will design, evaluate and deliver training courses to state agencies statewide. The position will also work closely with the Program Manager for Performance & Development Solutions (PDS), and assist in consulting with stakeholders concerning training and organizational needs, and conducting needs analysis. Services provided will be based upon organizational needs, best practices, and objectives established by HRE Leadership and PDS Program Manager. This position includes responsibilty for courses focused on leadership development and organizational culture, as well as any other types of courses that may be needed.
- Conduct needs analysis, research best practices and seek out additional information from peers and leadership to obtain a thorough understanding of organizational needs.
- Utilize best practices, understanding of organizational needs and leadership objectives to recommend appropriate training solutions, including leadership seminars, workshops, classroom training, computer-based and online training.
- Plan and determine course concepts, course objectives and delivery format based upon organizational needs, best practices and leadership objectives; identify opportunities for blended learning, including computer-based and online learning, where possible.
- Design and develop instructionally sound course content and materials consistent with the ADDIE model, including curriculum outlines, instructor manuals, participant manuals, visual aids, tests and other educational activities to be used as part of the course; develop evaluation tools consistent with the Kirkpatrick model; develop online or computer-based training modules, as needed.
- Engage in evaluation process; conduct interviews with participants; compile results from surveys for review and analysis, and to determine if performance outcomes were achieved.
- Analyze results of course evaluations to determine if changes are warranted. Implement minor course revisions and keep PDS Program Manager apprised, as needed; submit recommendations to PDS Program Manager for substantive course revisions.
- Facilitate a variety of training courses.
The position is located in Des Moines, IA. Travel throughout Iowa may be required. Work hours may vary.
Critical competencies for the position include:
- Knowledge of adult learning and instructional methods, including the ADDIE model.
- Knowledge of training and development evaluation methodologies, including the Kirkpatrick model.
- Knowledge of current principles of effective leadership, supervision and employee development, including communication, human relations skills, and organizational development.
- Ability to apply human resource management principles, practices and techniques in a manner that contributes to organizational success.
- Ability to identify immediate and long-range organizational and training needs.
- Ability to manage interactions with and between others with the specific goal of providing service and organizational success.
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with and among various organizational stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including those with opposing points of view, to produce impactful outcomes.
- Ability to interpret information to identify risks and determine organizational impact in providing recommendations.
- Ability to understand organizational dynamics, including stakeholder programs and services, and rules and regulations governing agency operations; accurately interpret and relate training solutions to organizational needs that will create effective organizations.
- Ability to think creatively and identify new solutions to resolve organizational problems.
- Ability to conduct needs assessments and create performance-based objectives to create learning solutions.
- Ability to design and develop instructionally sound course content.
- Ability to effectively facilitate a variety of courses; engaging participants in the content to result in performance improvement.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree and experience equal to three years full-time work in one or a combination of the following areas:
1) Professional training, teaching or counseling experience in an educational setting;
2) Professional personnel administration including such areas as job analysis, performance appraisal system, selection devices or labor relations;
3) Professional experience in a major technical program area utilized by the employing agency.
Successful candidates must also possess at least 6 months’ experience, 12 semester hours, or a combination of both including:
- Defining and delivering instructional material based on analysis of individual group and organizational behavior
- Applying appropriate measurement tools
- Identifying competency gaps
- Marketing recommendations
- Identifying instructional objectives
- Course content
- Needs assessment
- Training evaluations
Company: HomeServices Mortgage
Have strong HR generalist experience and looking for a new opportunity? HomeServices of America - a leader in residential real estate services and a proud affiliate of Berkshire Hathaway - is seeking a Sr. HR Generalist for our expanding mortgage division.
HomeServices of America’s mortgage division, newly headquartered in Des Moines, is redesigning our current joint venture mortgage operation as a wholly-owned mortgage solution which will be among the nation’s top 25 mortgage providers. The new organization will move formerly outsourced HR support to our internal HR team and provides a great opportunity to apply your experience in an established yet “new” organization.
Our ideal applicant will be able to execute hands-on activities while also having the experience and acumen to be an effective business partner. The Human Resources Generalist will support HR programs and services that drive organizational and employee performance and a productive work environment.
This position will provide HR support over 400 staff around the country, with operations centers in Des Moines, IA and Minneapolis, MN and San Bernardino, CA. This position partners closely with division management and HomeServices' corporate HR staff to carry out corporate-wide policies, programs and initiatives at a local level.
Experience in the mortgage, financial, or banking industry or with growing or start-up operations is helpful.
PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT/TRAINING/EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
• Plays a key role in the administration of the performance appraisal and compensation review process. Includes assisting managers in writing reviews, participates in the approval of reviews, coordinating compensation recommendations, and support overall performance management program.
•Assist with the creation, administration and presentation of employee training including new employee onboarding, company core principles and vision, manager training and other procedural and compliance-related training for the company and mortgage industry. Assists in implementing the training and development initiatives sponsored by the executive management team.
•Leads the company safety program, including managing the safety engagement program, and the creation and maintenance of the safety improvement plan and creating safety training topics and communication.
•Counsel employees and managers to facilitate resolution of employee relations issues. Provide advice and coaching to help employees manage performance or career issues.
•Coordinate company sponsored employee services and activities, including recognition, wellness, volunteer opportunities and social events.
•Coordinates the development and distribution of company-wide communications
•Coordinate and support the recruitment process including consulting with managers regarding staffing needs, interviewing, selection, compensation and maintaining job files. Conduct screening and other recruitment activities. Manage staffing agency relationships and coordinate agency recruiting efforts.
•Facilitate manager and employee new hire orientation & enrollment. Handle all new hire, status change and termination actions.
POLICY AND COMPLIANCE
•Provide consultation and interpretation of company policies and procedures to managers and employees.
•Assist with compliance initiatives, including HR self audits. Maintain working knowledge of all required local, state and federal regulations, to ensure that employment actions and programs are in compliance.
•Support a wide variety of special projects and implement and administer broad range of human resources related programs.
•Provide backup to Payroll. Track data and generate reports. Complete and coordinate payroll and personnel records and files.
The ideal candidate must have:
•Bachelors degree or equivalent in work experience and knowledge
•5 - 8 years experience in Human Resources
•PHR or SPHR preferred
•Experience as a HR Generalist, HR Specialist
•Experience in both medium size companies and divisional-corporate environment helpful
•Solid knowledge of applicable state/federal employment laws
•Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Web-based systems
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills
•Excellent analytic and problem solving skills
•Experience with HRIS and reporting systems
•Ability to work independently and handle confidential information
Contact: Please apply only if you meet the qualifications noted above by sending a resume and cover letter with specific salary expectations and/or history to: Lizhatfield@homeservices.com; or applying via our posting on CareerBuilder.
Equal Opportunity Employer
JOB GOAL: To assist the HR Director/Manager in performing the assigned technical, daily operations within the Human Resource Department and to work with proprietary programs as a subject matter expert.
- Previous experience in human resources in a management capacity (personnel and programs)
- Knowledge of state and federal laws and rules affecting public sector employment (FMLA, FLSA, Iowa Code, AA/EO, PERB and Collective Bargaining)
- Knowledge of personnel records management
- Ability to learn proprietary software pertaining to HRIS
- Ability to analyze data and perform trend analysis
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and build relationships based on trust
- Ability to handle diversity in an objective manner
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field. Requisite work experience can substitute for formal education
- Senior Professional Human Resources (SPHR) certification or Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification or willingness to obtain within one year of employment
- Knowledge of laws specific to the educational system (Board of Educational Examiners, Department of Education, Iowa Code pertaining to teachers, etc.)
- Achieve master level competency in one or more of the following programs (AESOP, Applitrack, and I-Visions)
- Creates and manages terms of employment agreements for all classified staff
- Hires and manages substitutes (teachers, associates, secretaries, etc.) to insure full staffing
- Processes new hire and employee resignation/retirement paperwork
- Processes employee transfer requests and reassignment paperwork
- Prepares substitute payroll and submits to business office
- Reviews and approves job postings on Applitrack
- Creates advertisements for employment opportunities and other recruitment activities as assigned, such as job and career fairs
- Performs background checks on current and prospective employees and volunteers
- Coordinates student teacher placement program
- Manages the employee leave program
- Manages employee ID badge program
- Manages the employee service award program
- Tracks employee’s BOEE licenses and mandatory trainings are up-to-date
- Assists in the creation and maintenance of organizational policies and procedures
- Assist with employee handbooks, benefit sheets, and other HR documents
- Assists in the development, review and revision of job descriptions
- Assists with preparation of accurate reports as required by the district, federal, state or local agencies, such as the BEDS report
- Initiates and maintains effective liaisons with other school districts in order to keep abreast of new educational developments and ideas
- Attend meetings as assigned by the Human Resources Manager/Director
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Human Resources Director, the Superintendent, and the Board
Please apply only if you meet the qualifications noted above at www.waukeeschools.org/careers/career-opportunities/
Company: United Suppliers
United Suppliers seeks a confident, enthusiastic person to assist our owners attract, hire, and retain individuals who have the best qualifications and aptitudes to make a positive and significant impact on the success of their business.
Key Duties and Responsibilities include:
•Promotes and markets recruitment and retention services to agriculture retail managers
•Facilitates each individual Owner’s recruitment processes and direct-hire needs by assisting with the development and customization of the Owner’s internship programs, graduate trainee programs, and direct placement.
•Develops job descriptions and promotional activities for open positions with the participating Owners.
•Aides Owners to develop and market employer branding positioning
•Develops relationships with hiring managers in order to determine their specific requirements to better source and identify the right talent for the Owner.
•Builds a talent pool by cold calling and sourcing candidates from companies engaged in similar businesses as the client, traditional and online postings, as well as networking with all related organizations and industry contacts.
•Maintains contact throughout the interview process with both the hiring manager and the candidate to ensure alignment between the parties.
•Administers and interprets assessment tools.
•Develops relationships with college professors and placement officers to promote United Suppliers’ Owners group. Represents United Suppliers and select owners at career fairs and recruiting events.
•Facilitates exit interviews and summarizes results.
•As a representative of our Owners, develops middle and high school presentations to promote agriculture retail career opportunities.
•Creates and facilitates onsite training programs designed to assist managers and employees in reaching their potential.
•Researches and develops additional potential services to complement our recruitment and retention strategies.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business, Management, Sales/Marketing Human resources or Communications.
- Experience working with College interns, hiring managers and attending Career Fairs to promote internship opportunities.
- Experience within agriculture or an agricultural retail-related businesses preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents. Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, supervisors, and other employees of the organization.
- Working knowledge of computers and software such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Must be able to work at a fast pace while managing multiple simultaneous projects.
- Aligns work with organization’s strategic goals and values; Develops strategies to achieve them.
- Innovative and has the ability to creatively and collaboratively solve problems.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Maintains confidentiality and works ethically and with integrity.
This person will work a territory of Nebraska, Kansas and central/western Iowa. They can office virtually depending on their location. To apply, please go to: https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH10/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=UNITEDSUPPLIERS&cws=1&rid=236
Company: Jacobson Companies
Position: Human Resources Specialist/Leave Coordinator
Location: Clive, IA
Date Posted: 8/7/2014
Jacobson Companies, one of the nation’s largest Third Party Logistics Companies with over 6,000 employees in 150 locations, is conducting a search for a HR Specialist/Leave Coordinator at our corporate headquarters in Clive, IA. This individual will be responsible for a variety of compliance related functions, including but not limited to:
- Administration of multi-state Leave of Absence, FLMA, and ADA programs.
- Participation and/or development in compensation programs.
- Ability to provide positive customer service to all employees, managers, and vendors.
- Ensure compliance in areas of employment law and Jacobson programs.
The ideal candidate is preferred to have a Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources and/or 2-6 years of related experience. Advanced knowledge of federal and state employment laws preferred. Strong written and oral communication skills are required. Additional qualities also include strong analytical skills, attention to detail, ability to multi-task, and exceptional problem solving skills.
Jacobson offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package to include medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid time off and a business casual environment. Please send cover letter, resume and salary history to:
Attn: Joel Cox
Company: Merit Resources
Position: Director, Human Resources Client Experience
Location: Urbandale, IA
Date Posted: 7/28/2014
Responsible for ensuring that HR service delivery is aligned with ideal client experience standards, representative of world class best practices and defines Merit Resources as the leading provider of human resources service in our market. Leads the HR team in a manner that builds camaraderie, delivers ideal client experiences and achieves business outcomes.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages either directly or through subordinate managers, the team in areas such as onboarding, ongoing training, development and performance management, coaching and result accountability.
- Responsible for operational efficiency management (i.e. systems utilization, team tools, CSA Manuals, time management, personal organizational strategies, auditing tools).
- Responsible for reporting HR data to clients and senior management team for effective business decisions. This can include the creation of monthly dashboards reports.
- Responsible for monitoring clients and ensuring that service delivery is meeting their needs and providing ideal clients experience. Responsible for client retention.
- Responsible for the overall client experience by reviewing of survey results, creating action plans, conducting quarterly visits/calls and reviewing dashboard reports and analysis.
- Coordinates client communications with the client navigation team and HR Business partners.
- Resolves client issues by determining root cause, correction of issues, and training and modification of current processes to ensure issues do not reoccur. Coordinates communication with the HR Business Partners and Directors, Client Navigation.
- Partners with the Manager, Corporate Talent and Culture and the Corporate HR team members to implement HR policies, processes, tools and resources that are reflective of industry best practices. Train team members, and works with HRBP team and DCN to create and implement client communications as needed.
- Provides HR consultation and leadership to the team, clients and other members of the client service delivery team.
- EPLI claims administration and reporting.
- Representative for Core HR team in new product roll outs; such as the wellness plan, profiles, recruiting services, etc. to ensure thorough education and communication and program set up.
- Maintain regular contact with clients with both face visits, and phone calls.
- Meets the designated clients on a quarterly basis to conduct an informal "report card" of our services and make plans for the future initiatives.
- Meets regularly with all members of the Client Services Team.
- Assigns HR team members to clients and has oversight for HR service capacity management.
- Assists Vice President with annual budgeting process.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four year college or university in the field of human resources or related field.
Required Work Experience:
Five years of HR generalist experience with a minimum of three years of management experience.
Knowledge of Customer Relationship Management systems; HRIS; Payroll systems, Internet, and Microsoft Office Applications.
Required Skills or traits for the positions:
Analytical; Ability to lead and manage; Ability to effectively problem solve; Strong verbal and written communication skills; exhibit high level of professionalism
Regular office environment.
PHR or SPHR is preferred but not required.
Please apply only if you meet the qualifications noted above by sending a resume and cover letter with specific salary expectations and/or history to: Christy Smith (Christy.Smith@meritresources.com) or firstname.lastname@example.org.